Stop Ignoring Holy Paladins

#0 - Nov. 1, 2008, 5:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Please stop ignoring us Holy Paladins.

Aura Mastery - This needs to be removed and made baseline, Holy paladins need a new 11 point talent.

Illumination - Needs a buff, mana return back to 100%? At least 75%

Holy paladins are still locked down to easy in pvp and bring nothing special to aid the group, whats being done to fix this?

We are close to no longer being the best single target healer. Other classes are catching up and paladins are being removed from raids.

Beacon of Light - Is horrible in its current state, at least lower the mana cost, make it work on overhealing, and make it last longer.

Judgements of the Pure - Worst 5 point talent ever made. Its so deep in the holy tree and all it dose is give 15% haste? Not worth it at all.

JUDGEING IN COMBAT ISNT FUN. Its very annoying, mobs are taken down way to fast to even bother, this would only work on bosses.

Holy Guidance - Every other tree has a similar talent but theres is 3 points, gives more spell power AND has a secondary effeft!! Why do Holy paladins have such a horible version!

NO NEW HEALING SPELLS? ok in BC i could settle for no new spells but now in wrath its just plain stupid.

Stop ignoring us blizz this is just getting stupid.
#23 - Nov. 2, 2008, 2:02 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Please stop ignoring us Holy Paladins.

Q u o t e:
Aura Mastery - This needs to be removed and made baseline, Holy paladins need a new 11 point talent.

A little bit of explanation wouldn't hurt when you make claims like this. Typically we don't like to turn good talents into baseline abilities. That either leaves you with mediocre talents or the next tier of good talents (that you ask to be turned into core abilities).

Q u o t e:
Illumination - Needs a buff, mana return back to 100%? At least 75%

There was a time not too long ago where Holy paladins just didn't run out of mana. This was not good for the game.

Q u o t e:
Holy paladins are still locked down to easy in pvp and bring nothing special to aid the group, whats being done to fix this?

This is a little vague for me to be able to address your concerns. I do think there may be something to the issue that Arena teams want a healer with some offensive capabilities as well, even if that means Mass Dispel.

Q u o t e:
We are close to no longer being the best single target healer. Other classes are catching up and paladins are being removed from raids.

I haven't seen any evidence that paladins are being removed from raids in LK. In BC, that started to happen because healers needed to move a lot and raids required a ton of AE heals which didn't play into paladin strengths. We chilled down those elements as well as giving paladins more tools for those situations (such as Infusion of Light and Beacon of Light).

Q u o t e:
Beacon of Light - Is horrible in its current state, at least lower the mana cost, make it work on overhealing, and make it last longer.

I have seen an awful lot of paladins who really like Beacon. Since you sound like someone who is active in the community, I would imagine you know this, so it surprises me you would state that Beacon is horrible as if it were an accepted fact. You're at least going to have to offer some more evidence.

Q u o t e:
Judgements of the Pure - Worst 5 point talent ever made. Its so deep in the holy tree and all it dose is give 15% haste? Not worth it at all.

Before we buffed Pure, I think it was underpowered. We hesitated because we saw some player calculations that it could have been decent even in its own form. Now in its new form, we feel like it is pretty potent. If it has a disadvantage, it's that it might invalidate some of the earlier Holy talents.

Q u o t e:
JUDGEING IN COMBAT ISNT FUN. Its very annoying, mobs are taken down way to fast to even bother, this would only work on bosses.

Part of the reason we did this was because a complaint we heard from Holy paladins was they wanted more buttons to push than just FoL and HL. Judging seemed like a natural fit since it was already part of the paladin repetoire. This perplexes me a little since you then ask for new healing spells down below. Perhaps you or someone else could elaborate? (Having 40 yard ranged Judgements is pretty nice too.)

Q u o t e:
Holy Guidance - Every other tree has a similar talent but theres is 3 points, gives more spell power AND has a secondary effeft!! Why do Holy paladins have such a horible version!

It's difficult to just directly compare talents between two different classes or specs. We can take a look at this one in particular though.

Q u o t e:
NO NEW HEALING SPELLS? ok in BC i could settle for no new spells but now in wrath its just plain stupid.

Sorry, we disagree. We don't want to just keep adding new rotational spells every expansion or classes are going to end up with just too many buttons -- some specs are dangerously close to that already. Instead we added some more situational heals. The paladin has been designed around Flash of Light, just like the shaman was designed around Chain Heal. We didn't want to completely change what these classes were all about, in part because a lot of players like them as they are. We figured players who gravitate towards wanting lots of different kinds of heals can play the druid or priest. Players who want to have relatively few spells and can then focus on cooldowns, trinkets or the like can play the paladin or shaman. We think it would be dangerous for paladins to pick up Lich King and find their class had completely changed.

But we did make some major changes to specs like the Prot warrior and Shadow priest. If there are enough Holy paladins who think the spec is fundamentally broken and not fun, then that's something on which we'd like to see more discussion from you guys. Just remember not everyone automatically agrees with you. :)