Why do so many adults play this game?

#0 - Jan. 2, 2010, 7:38 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Seriously, I'm just wondering. I mean, if i had the whole world as my play ground I wouldn't be running around azeroth 5 hours a day.
#177 - Jan. 8, 2010, 3:06 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Seriously, I'm just wondering. I mean, if i had the whole world as my play ground I wouldn't be running around azeroth 5 hours a day.

I suppose if becoming an adult meant that the whole world was my playground... I may play World of Warcraft less than I currently do. Unfortunately, for me and a few other people I know, that simply isn't the case. We have bills to pay and finite amounts of currency. This prohibits us from instituting our various Machiavellian plans to dominate... er make the world our playground.

If that doesn't satisfy you, here is a brief list of reasons why adults may play this game (even if they have the whole world as their playground).

• They previously followed the Warcraft series and now enjoy being able to be a part of the world of Azeroth.

• It's cheaper than going to two movies a month and affords considerably more entertainment.

• Their friends play the game and they play in order to associate with them.

• They like having the ability to interact with a group of people who share similar interests in an environment of pseudo anonymity.

• They have a family and enjoy playing with them as a group.

• It's faster to log on to the game to see a beautiful wilderness to explore than it is to drive 45 minutes to be told by park rangers where you can and cannot go.

• In real life, they don't want to fight bears, zombies, the Lich King, dragons or old gods, but in a game, it's fun.

• They've been gamers all their lives.

• Meeting new and interesting people isn't limited to specific geographical locations (just realms).

• The fulfilling feeling of being able to achieve a goal in just a few minutes of play.

• An interest in roleplaying games.

• Being able to fly with the click of a button.

• Outside it is currently too cold/hot to be a playground.

• It helps people stay connected with those that they love... that they have moved away from.

Edit: Breenn's reason is a good one.
  • #275 - Jan. 8, 2010, 5:57 p.m.
    Blizzard Post
    I've been a gamer all of my life. It's my chosen profession and my hobby. I do other things outside of gaming and have a family life, see friends, read, etc. It's true, I have many things to choose from, but I also have responsibilities and gaming allows me to have my cake and eat it too by letting me do something that doesn't drain my budget and yet, still gives me satisfaction and enjoyment. As an adult, I have many choices open to me and this is my choice.
    #282 - Jan. 8, 2010, 6:15 p.m.
    Blizzard Post
    Life is about doing what you enjoy (outside of completing necessities like work). I personally enjoy playing games, always have and always will and WoW is one of those games I can keep rolling with, year after year.

Or maybe I am just an adult on paper and never act like one... either way I'm covered.