Any good sim program/website for arcane?

#1 - Sept. 26, 2017, 10:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Simcraft has always been bad for arcane, but I was hoping it would be better since the removal of Quickening. I now see it has gotten worse.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#19 - Sept. 28, 2017, 7:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Sims are super useful to give you an idea of a perfect world scenario based on the proc percentages. However that perfect world just simply never happens no matter the class/spec.

What Midguard said is pretty true regarding how a player thinks versus a sim. Sims can only think in logical If-Or scenarios but players can be predictive and respond to scenarios more efficiently and know how to set themselves up more effectively. You see this especially with how sims use cooldowns. Most simply just use them on a time interval that is it's cooldown because it can't actively predict fight mechanics.

Fire is kind of the same way. I've simmed Fire I can't tell you how many times and it almost never lines up with what I actually do. Occasionally I fall slightly under (~1-2% ish) but the majority I blow it out of the water because I have more Hot Streaks than the sim predicted and a more efficient Combustion usage than just "everytime its up".
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#28 - Sept. 29, 2017, 1:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
09/28/2017 06:11 PMPosted by Keestus
Sims aren't perfect, and they're certainly not meant to perfectly reflect raid encounters, but they're very useful for figuring out what you should be doing under static conditions, and applying those findings to dynamic encounters.

That's the point I was roughly making as well. Thanks for the informative clarification on simulation vs formulation. :)

09/28/2017 06:22 PMPosted by Sathyr
*When games become more about math than having fun*

Figuring out the math and optimizations can be pretty fun if you're into the methodology. I totally recognize its not for everyone.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#43 - Sept. 29, 2017, 5:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
09/28/2017 08:30 PMPosted by Delritha
I would like to point out that some Theorycrafters have gone on to work at Blizzard

Looking at you:
Celestalon
Hamlet
Kavak

I remember using Rawr! That was actually what got me into the whole of Theorycrafting. It was just fascinating figuring out how mechanics worked behind the scenes to give us the output of the final game product. I remember how cool I felt when I figured out that Paladin Seal procs counted as a melee swing back in Wrath.

09/28/2017 10:20 PMPosted by Dylemma
So you play a fire mage? ;) How do you feel about the lack of critical strike importance in most situations?

I do! I play a few different specs but I do quite enjoy Fire :). I'm one for uniformity but I also love it when things are unexpected that change up gameplay, so personally its conflicting but also interesting. I don't see a problem with it but I recognize it can be frustrating when that kinda thing comes up in the middle of a tier.