"MY DESTINY IS MY OWN!"

#1 - Sept. 8, 2017, 10:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Um ok? So the king of "I've sacrificed everything" is asked to sacrifice his "scars" and "fel demon blood" and says he rather not get the 100% free spa treatment complete with cucumbers and a face mask?

Honestly at this point who could even like illidan? His character makes no sense. The dude wasn't even a basic lvl edge lord before he sucked the life out of his mage buddies.

Demon hunters hypocrites and arrogant. Warlocks should have kept meta because without guldan Edgidan wouldn't be as edgy.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#4 - Sept. 8, 2017, 10:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
09/08/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Lillithia
Um ok? So the king of "I've sacrificed everything" is asked to sacrifice his "scars" and "fel demon blood" and says he rather not get the 100% free spa treatment complete with cucumbers and a face mask?
But... he's not asked.

Also his scars aren't his only sacrifices. I recommend some reading on Illidan as a whole, including the recent World of Warcraft: Illidan book and maybe a playthrough of Warcraft III in addition to his Wowpedia article.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#19 - Sept. 8, 2017, 10:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
09/08/2017 03:36 PMPosted by Truckerjim
09/08/2017 03:32 PMPosted by Ornyx
...But... he's not asked.

Did he ask the Moonguard if it was okay to sacrifice them? Did he get the approval of Outland's population before becoming tyrant?

Consent has never been an issue for Illidan when sacrificing others.
Not defending his actions by any moral means, as he's obviously flawed, was just making an observation that Xe'ra, as well, was not asking kindly. I think as you work through the story that's ahead of us, a bit more will become clear.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#31 - Sept. 8, 2017, 10:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
<span class="truncated">...</span>But... he's not asked.

Also his scars aren't his only sacrifices. I recommend some reading on Illidan as a whole, including the recent World of Warcraft: Illidan book and maybe a playthrough of Warcraft III in addition to his Wowpedia article.

I mean, he doesn't exactly ask the Moonguard either. Illidan doles a whole lot of making decisions for other people.
Definitely a flaw in his personality, and it's become more apparent over the years.

09/08/2017 03:41 PMPosted by Lillithia
09/08/2017 03:32 PMPosted by Thallia
Sounds to me like no one understands the storyline or the characters.
Telling me to "read" a book about him to understand him where I've put in more hours watching and playing as him.
If you don't want to witness the full story, that's your choice. Folks were just pointing out resources available to you so you can have a full-formed opinion. Let's keep it civil and less pointed, eh?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#45 - Sept. 8, 2017, 11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
09/08/2017 03:58 PMPosted by Bjoramier
i love how this community did a 180 on xe'ra the second they found out illidan was against her.
Well, there was a literal second in the cinematic that showed that she wasn't what people thought, no? Makes sense that people would change their views.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#84 - Sept. 8, 2017, 11:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
<span class="truncated">...</span>But... he's not asked.

Illidan didn't ask those moon guard to make a sacrifice. Or the broken. Or the draenei spirits.

He just took from them. Forced them to sacrifice.

How is what Xe'ra was doing any different from what Illidan has done? Illidan is a hypocrite.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that his actions aren't hypocritical, simply that you can't say he was asked to be put into the situation he was put into - which is true Xe'ra was forcing a "fate" Illidan didn't want to live.

Any underlying hypocrisy doesn't change his understanding of the event, just your understanding as the audience which is probably fine.