Blizzard: When Will You Address Cheating?

#1 - March 30, 2015, 5:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This season is surprisingly shaping up to be relatively decent in terms of balance. It's no season 7 or season 10, but it's got potential. The two biggest issues this game faces right now are not necessarily class balance, but instead:
a.) The classes lost some core offensive CDs/fun abilities that increased skill cap by a drastic amount and distinguished good from bad players and also made classes generally much more fun.
b.) The rampant amount of cheating that is STILL un-addressed by Blizzard.

I want to ask about (b) because it's becomingly increasingly infuriating to this game's community that a company of THIS prestige is allowing high school students in an intro CS class to circumvent this game's anti-botting guards.

PLAYER REPORTING VS. BLIZZARD DETECTION

Lore has highlighted the fact that we can report players for cheating and are encouraged to do so. He also stressed that it is imperative that players do so or cheaters cannot be combated. I appreciate Lore's enthusiasm for this community. I appreciate that he's there to communicate with us, not make the actual decisions himself. I also want to stress how terrible of a policy this is.

Imagine if the Olympic policy for performance enhancing substances of any sort was as follows: If you suspect someone you're competing against is using PEDs, submit a report to the committee detailing why you think they're using PEDs. Like what? The organizers need to have a system in place that detects this without the intervention of the players. That is exactly what they're being paid to do.

I understand the difficult nature of bot detection. I also understand that there are fundamental and undeniable avenues that could be taken to drastically cut down on it. Warden used to accomplish this, I refuse to accept that more advanced detection protocols can't be developed to combat this.

Additionally, I know for a fact that a large number of community members as well as friends of mine have reported certain notorious botters (i.e. Farmer, Lazylarry) dozens of times each, with little to no action being taken at all. Why should we take the time to submit another report when not only aren't they banned, they're on Blizzard forums making an open mockery of the company?

Here's a video of the rogue Shyokoliam, who just pushed 2600 with his botting friend Farmer, literally loading up honorbuddy on stream. He deleted this VoD but someone managed to get it onto YouTube. I'm guessing nothing will be done though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcfVA87oeVc

PENALTIES
The penalties for cheating are virtually non-existent. Most of the most notorious cheaters simply never have any action whatsoever taken against them. They make literal mockeries of this game's anti-cheating culture on streams for everyone to see. Nothing is done.

Those who are caught (i.e. Bailamos) are simply told not that they can't do it again or the "real" permaban will come. What? He literally ruined RBGs for almost an entire expansion and flat out admitted to doing so because of how dismal the Blizzard stance on RBG cheating was. Then he comes on to tell us that after what may have literally been hundreds of games of the most blatant cheats he's getting yet another chance? Bailamos represents a sort of player who perfectly understands this company -- why bother playing by the rules and limiting yourself when no serious action is ever taken?

FINAL THOUGHTS
As a veteran of this game who's been playing this game for over a decade, I'm intimately aware of how difficult certain things are to deal with and how often things are blown out of proportion. This is not. Don't make players have to wonder "do you think that player is kickbotting?". We shouldn't even have to think that after a loss because Blizzard should be so active on banning cheaters that every time I get insta locked I either think "Wow that was lucky" or "Wow that was skilled", not "wow, that was probably a bot but I'll never know".

Please open a meaningful dialogue with us about this Blizzard, and don't just talk about it, let us know that you'll actually work on doing something, and soon. It's absurdly disheartening to honest players to have to see cheaters make a mockery of how unenforced this games rules are.

Post in this thread, acknowledge you haven't done nearly enough, acknowledge it's an issue that needs work from your end, not just ours, and show some love for the players who are really trying to keep this games community something that's worth staying part of.
Forum Avatar
#1 - Nov. 1, 2015, 8:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Please see source post at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16773748032?page=10 for detail.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#17 - March 31, 2015, 12:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We tend to not discuss what we're doing in the fight against bots for the simple reason that any shred of information that goes out has the potential to hurt our efforts. Simply put, the safer botters (and bot-makers) feel, the more likely we are to catch them. Minutes count with these sorts of things. Using made-up numbers here, but just for illustration: a new detection method that catches 50 botters could have only been 5 (or none) if the botters had any reason to believe there might be something coming.

I completely understand why that's a crappy response, but we have to use every single advantage we can get here, and that means being relatively quiet about an issue that's obviously very important -- both to the community, and to us.

As to the question of "player reporting vs Blizzard detection," that's not something we're taking an either/or response to. We're constantly working on improving our detection methods. That doesn't mean that player reports don't help.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#23 - March 31, 2015, 12:28 a.m.
Blizzard Post
03/30/2015 05:24 PMPosted by Orkson
Can you make reporting players easier? The only option right now that I know of is to report them mid arena game which isn't always possible.

We absolutely need to do better about getting this information out there, but the best method to report players you suspect are using a bot or hack -- especially if you can gather some video evidence -- is to email hacks@blizzard.com. That email address is monitored constantly by the team responsible for investigating such things.